I’m a flight attendant and a travel writer, so I get around. I use all sorts of transportation — trains, planes, and automobiles, plus boats, bikes, bus, and by foot, too. Here’s why traveling by train is by far the best way to get around:
1. Trains are fast.
2. They’re faster than cars, and sometimes even planes when you include getting to and from the airport, security, etc.
3. Train stations are usually in the center of cities at the heart of all the action.
4. Trains are generally well-connected with public transit and within walking distance of all the things to do.
5. You never waste time or money on parking.
6. There are no lines.
7. There is no TSA.
8. And you don’t have to board by zone through a single door which takes forever.
9. You can arrive at a train station literally one minute before departure — with ticket in hand — and still catch your train no problem.
10. Or you can take your time saying goodbye to loved ones right at the door or even onboard before the train departs.
11. It takes mere seconds to fully board or unload a train of its passengers.
12. Trains have beautiful big windows and views untainted by multi-lane cement expanses.
13. And since you don’t have to drive, you can fully appreciate the urban or countryside scenery.
14. Some train windows even open up and you can stick your head out to see the train snaking around a bend, with wind in your hair.
15. There is no road rage, no rush hour, and no traffic jams.
16. You can make friends on trains.
18. Trains are comfortable.
19. You can get up and walk around on a train no big deal.
20. Walking between train cars, though, is kind of crazy.
21. The floor shifts under your feet and it’s like being in a fun house.
22. On old trains sometimes the car connections aren’t enclosed, and it’s downright exhilarating.
23. Also trains are tall — you can stand in trains without stooping or ducking your head sideways.
24. You can walk to the caboose and stand outside or look out the rear window to watch the tracks vanish into the horizon in a study of one point perspective.
25. There is no turbulence.
26. And no seat-belts, which means you don’t have to worry about wrinkling your dress or sport coat.
27. Trains are classy.
28. Trains have whole cars devoted to food.
29. Mmm… food.
31. Simply put, trains are cool. Like legit cool.
— Laura Rowley